Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Video: Smarter Effects in Gumbo

Here's another video from Adobe TV. In this one, I'm showing a couple of applications that demonstrate some of the intelligence that we're building into the new effects in Gumbo (the codename for the next release of Flex). Specifically, these demos show some of the new automatic behavior of the Fade effect and the new "autoReverse" capability of transitions.

As with any Gumbo demos, you should not get too locked into the specific APIs, since we're still very much mid-development. For example, all of the effects currently have an "Fx" prefix in the classnames which should be going away soon. But the point of the applications is to show the functionality and behavior of the effects, which is here to stay.

I should/will post the code and applications soon, but my workspace is a bit torn up at the moment, since I'm in the middle of more cool-o effects features. As soon as that's cleared up, I'll update this post to have the code available. Meanwhile, grab the popcorn, sit back, and enjoy all 6 minutes and 8 seconds of:

4 comments:

ESCOZ said...

Great video, Chet, I loved the presentation you did on Adobe MAX about this last year!

Anonymous said...

Very cool! Love your videos - Easy to follow, not too verbose, perfect balance of tech speak and humor. - BTW - When are you going to release the video on reflections that you mentioned in your drag video?

Chet Haase said...

srtr4k: Glad you're enjoying them. Re: the reflection video ... I wish I knew. It should come out very soon now, but the process of releasing these videos on Adobe TV is a complete mystery to me (hence the odd reverse order in which those two videos are being released). In any case, it should be soon. And then I'll have to clean up the code to post it...

Carlos Garza said...

As a Designer-developer i want smooth and perfect orchestrated transitions in my apps, in previous versions of flex i have to spend long hours hacking and tweaking the effects and transitions looking for only the correct behavior, with no time to explore/experiment better motion guided experiences in my apps.

Do you think is posible to check the source code of the application?
For some reason im having the same old jumping behavior using FB4 Beta